At Gems Are Forever, our Beverly Hills staff are Graduate Gemologists (G.G.) from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) who purchase and sell fine jewelry, diamonds, gemstones, and luxury timepieces.
Whether the style is Contemporary or Retro, Art Deco or Vintage in rings, earrings, bracelets, or necklaces, once they leave our possession, we want the new owner to care for them as we would to ensure their beauty and longevity.
Here are a few tips to keep your jewelry in its best shape.
General Jewelry Care Tips
There are several things we can all do to keep our jewelry looking new, while potentially avoiding damage to important pieces.
- Take your jewelry off during any activity that could scratch, knock, or damage it, including sports, cleaning, or cooking, and before you go to bed.
- Store distinct types of jewelry materials separately, ideally in a soft-lined box or case: When different jewelry types and materials are stored together, they can become scratched, tarnished, or tangled.
- Fasten chains and necklaces before storing to avoid tangling.
- Keep all jewelry away from wood to avoid staining or tarnishing.
- Keep all jewelry away from chemicals, especially chlorine.
- Put jewelry on after bathing, applying lotions, or perfumes, so they do not interfere with the integrity of the piece.
- Store all jewelry away from damp conditions, sunlight, or excessive heat.
- Travel with a jewelry case and be sure to secure it within your luggage.
- Wipe all jewelry with an anti-tarnish cloth before storing it away to avoid dust, oil, or moisture.
Keep in mind, the safest cleaning methods are often the easiest. Avoid detergents and use warm water with mild dish soap and a soft brush when needed.
Once the jewelry has been cleaned, rinse it in a glass of water to remove any leftover cleaning solutions while avoiding losing stones or even an entire piece of jewelry.
Consult with a Professional Jeweler Regularly for Wear and Damage Issues
Jewelry can break without notice or be adversely affected by regular wear and tear that could end in a total loss. This is especially true for Antique pieces that have not been professionally restored.
Here is a quick checklist of some things to look for before wearing any piece of jewelry:
- Loose stones
- Fractured metals
- Damaged, missing, or worn claws on settings with diamonds or colored gemstones
- Loose clasps and catches
- Rough links on chains or bracelets
- Pearls that are loose, or on a frayed thread
- Too much movement in jointed hinges
- Wearing from the plating on off-white gold
Additionally, luxury watches require extra care and should be maintained according to the manufacturer or professional jeweler’s recommendations, including dive watches that should be pressure tested annually.
Rings are another jewelry item that can change rapidly in fit and integrity and may require professional maintenance if it is too tight or too loose, so the wearer can obtain a proper fit and avoid the risk of losing the precious item.
Contact Our Beverly Hills Master Jewelers to Discuss Proper Jewelry Maintenance Techniques
At Gems Are Forever, our Beverly Hills master jewelers offer repair, identification, authentication, and consultation services that will allow you to maintain your existing pieces, or turn them into something new.
Contact our master jewelers in Beverly Hills to schedule an in-person or virtual appointment today.